Home » General »

Korean Actress Lee Da Hae Apologizes for Discrimination of Filipino Teachers on Video

leedahaeKorean actress Lee Da Hae issued an apology over the stir her video interview over a talk show on KBS or Korean Broadcasting System that somewhat demeans Filipino teachers.

The star of popular Koreanovelas like “My Girl” and “East of Eden” was caught sharing on the talk show the difference on accent from different nationalities.  To stress her point with sarcasm, Lee Da Hae said “Excuse me. I’m a little bit thirsty. Can I have a glass of water please?” and said this statement like the way Americans, British and Filipino teachers do.  For the Filipino teachers though, she said this with sarcasm and making fun out of it.

Her action which was seen by many to demean the capacity of Filipinos on speaking the English language received a good number of negative feedbacks.  To this the Korean actress issued an apology over Twitter Wednesday.

“First, I’d like to give you my sincere apologies for what seems to be a misunderstanding.

“It has come to my attention that many of you from the Philippines have posted comments protesting that i was being derisive by mimicking Filipinos when they speak English.

“Therefore, in light of this matter I’d like to take this opportunity to clear the air.

“In spite of what many people believe, I myself did NOT mention anything about the Philippines or Filipino accent whilst on the TV show.

“On the other hand, I recall bringing up Southeast Asia and not the Philippines, and the subtitles were inserted when the show was being edited, of which I was not aware of until it was aired.

“The TV show where this footage was taken from was designed to amuse its audience and my sole purpose was to entertain the viewers by coming up with lighthearted stories.

“Since the producer knows that i speak English he asked me if I could share any episodes that touch upon the English language.

“As we all know every country has a typical accent when its people speak English (including myself) so after giving it some thought, I came up with a few lines where I simply tried to compare different English accents: the somewhat rigid British accent and beginners in Southeast Asia whose English tends to be a little hard-edged. No pun or ridicule was intended.

“As an individual who used to take English classes over the phone with a Filipino instructor, I give you my word that even the mere thought of mocking Filipinos would never cross my mind.

“I cannot tell you how much Filipino fans mean to me and as much as I love them, I would in no way hurt or upset them.

“I hope I have clarified any misunderstandings and once again I am truly sorry if I inadvertently hurt anyone’s feelings.

“i really love you, my Filipino fans.”

MY THOUGHT:  Wow, that was a lot of words for an apology over Twitter.  Sorry, but I have lots of Korean students and no offense to them…I am always suicidal teaching or conversing to most of them for they do not know how to speak English.

Any thoughts guys about this whole controversy?

Photo credit:  BuhayKorea.com

, ,

• No Related Posts

1. minnie says:

Watched that video.. sounds pitiable for me.. trying to prove her ability that she can exemplify american and british accent. However, i hope she’s aware that accent is not merely the main key to prove to the world that you can speak english.. grammar is the most important thing.

2. Kris says:

By the time I watch this video, I was so mad and frustrated! Even if she thought it was a joke, she should think first what she will say before saying it! She said that she was imitating Southeast Asian language, but, doesn’t she heard one of the hosts specifically said “Philippines?”

And I agree that speaking English is not the basis for very good “accent”, but if you had a very good GRAMMAR….

I am proud to be a Filipino and so much proud to say (maybe she didn’t know!?) that many Koreans spend money to come here in the Philippines just to learn ENGLISH from US!!!

Besides, she never imitate our language correctly!! Is she really proud of what she did? Kindly look at yourself at the mirror, maybe you haven’t seen yourself for ages!!!

3. zandy says:

what a sigh!..lJust give KBS an excellent rating and applause to her.

4. yan says:

Arrogant! they seem to know how to speak engish!!!accent is never a big deal..It’s how you express through english but you koreans can’t

5. jadvill says:

Ms. Lee Da Hae don’t you know that their are lots of korean students here in the Philippines.
    One more thing, OMG! everytime they speak english they sounds soooooo bad and they can’t even spell some english words rigthly as well as their english grammar OMG! so badly wrong and terrible.Here’s more, i had met a one korean student and I asked him to spell out the word friends and he said,”f r e n d s”.
    ahahahahahha………. so simple but he found it difficult.

6. jadvill says:

One more, I have a korean classmate and you how he pronounce the word busy as, “bichi”, and I really like it as,” I lili layk it”.
    ahahhahaahahhahahahahaahhahahahhahha

7. Patricia says:

Although this comment is posted long after the “Lee Da Hae mocking incident”, i would still give a comment since i do think that not a lot of Filipinos knew about the incident. It so so unfortunate that this korean “actress” made such comment without knowing that quite a number of her fellow Koreans chose to study here in the Philippines to get a DECENT, GOOD QUALITY education. Had this incident been reported in the news (which I doubt that it was indeed reported), she would have been declared PERSONA NON GRATA for what she did. Clearly, this woman, LEE DA HAE is unmindful how filipinos treat Koreans who study (or even work) here with RESPECT, contrary to how she made a mockery of the Filipinos who, ironically, developed a fondness of her because of her drama shows that are shown in the Philippines..

8. Artemis says:

9. Artemis says:

No matter how you say you’re sorry, the damage is done, remember this Ms. Lee Da Hae, accent is nothing, clarity is everything and despite the Filipinos’ strong accent, we speak CLEARLY and PRECISELY, with you, of course you studied the language with much expense, while we were born with it! In regards to the video, if you hear yourself, you don’t sound either American and British, you still sound like a stupid Korean trying to be an American or British…also goes to the hosts of the show, screw you!

10. Artemis says:

In regards to the video, if you hear yourself, you don’t sound either American and British, you still sound like a stupid Korean trying to be an American or British…also goes to the hosts of the show KBS Korea, screw you!